Please find below some of my memberships and duties within the HCI community and beyond reaching out to other neighbor communities.
Awarded Memberships and Committee Roles:
- Invited Program Chair for NordiCHI 2018 conference (Oslo, Norway)
- Nominated Member of the ACM SIGCHI Communications and Membership Team. SIGCHI – Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction – is the premier international society for human-computer interaction (since March 2016)
- Associate Chair for ACM CHI (2013-2015, re-invited for 2017) under the sub-committee ‘Understanding People: Theory, Concepts, Methods’.
- Tutorial Chair for ACM MobileHCI 2016 conference (Florence, Italy)
- Associate Chair for ACM DIS 2016 conference (Brisbane, Australia)
- Associate Chair for British HCI 2015 conference (Lincoln, UK)
- Co-chair for Late-Breaking Papers for the ACM CABS 2014 conference on Collaboration across Boundaries: Culture, Distance & Technology (Kyoto, Japan)
- Associate Chair (AC) for the ACM CHI (since 2013) conference sub-committee ‘Understanding People: Theory, Concepts, Methods’.
- Program Chair for ACM TVX 2014 conference (Newcastle, UK)
- Late Breaking Papers Co-Chair for ACM CABS 2014 conference (Kyoto, Japan)
- Doctoral Colloquium Chair for DPPI 2013 conference (Newcastle, UK)
- Program Coordinator for EuroITV 2013 conference (Como, Italy)
- Doctoral Consortium Chair for EuroITV2012 conference (Berlin, Germany)
- Short Paper and Poster Chair for EuroITV2011 (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Program Chair for the Fun&Games 2010 conference (Leuven, Belgium)
- Tutorial Chair for the EuroITV2010 conference (Tampere, Finland)
- Workshop Chair for the EuroITV2009 conference (Leuven, Belgium)
- Program Chair for the EuroITV2008 conference (Salzburg, Austria)
- Part of the local organizing committee for several conferences including MobileHCI 2005, ACE 2007, AmI 2009, DIS20013, and Pervasive2013.
External Evaluator and Examiner:
External Evaluator for Funding bodies
- External expert panel member for the Research Council of Norway in 2012, 2013 and re-invited 2014. I was involved in the evaluation and selection process for the competitive FRIHUM and FRISAM grants (below 10% acceptance rate).
- Referee for awarding bodies such as EU-Commission (FET Programme 2009, ERC 2017).
External/Internal Examiner for PhDs
- PhD Theses of Bruna Petreca, external examiner at the Royal College of Art (June 2016).
- PhD Thesis of Elenor Martin, internal examiner at the University of Sussex (Feb. 2015).
- PhD Thesis of Hyo-Jin Koh, internal examiner at the University of Sussex (2014, upcoming).
- PhD Thesis of Gareth R. White, internal examiner at the University of Sussex (2013).
- PhD Thesis of Mari Ervasti, Opponent for the Public Defence at the Tampere University of technology, Tampere, Finland (2012).
- PhD Thesis of Nisha Weeramanthri, External Reviewer for the Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia (2010).
Reviewing Committee Membership:
- CHI (since 2008): different categories including full/short papers
- ACM TVX (previously EuroITV) (since 2007): different categories including full/short papers
- MobileHCI (since 2008): full/short papers
- INTERACT (since 2007): full/short papers
- Fun&Games (since 2010): full/short papers
- DIS (since 2012): full/short papers, workshops
- PDC (since 2012): full/short papers
- NordiCHI 2010: full/short papers
- IADIS (Internet Technologies & Society) 2010: papers
- UxTV 2008: full/short papers
- UIST 2014: papers
- International Journal for Human-Computer Studies (IJHCS)
- Interacting with Computers (IwC) Journal
- ACM CiE Computers in Entertainment Journal
- Behaviour & Information Technology Journal
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications
- International Journal of the Interdisciplinary Social Sciences
- Multimedia Systems Journal (MMSJ)
- International Journal of Web Portals (IJWP)
Prizes or Awards:
- World Economic Forum Young Scientist of the year 2017, representing the ERC holder of the European Union in Dalian, China from 27 – 29 June 2017.
- Selected Member for the ACM Future Computing Academy
- Awarded with the title of Senior Member of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) in 2016.
- Attendee at the 2016. Science Foo Camp at Googleplex. This invitation-only event brings together 250 individuals with diverse backgrounds in science and technology, and is organized by O’Reilly Media, Digital Science, Nature Publishing, and Google.
- World Economic Forum Young Scientist of the year 2015, representing the ERC holder of the European Union in Dalian, China from 09 – 11 September 2015.
- Marie Curie Fellowship awarded (October 2011 – September 2013)
- Best Paper Nominations for EuroITV2012 and UserCentricMedia 2009
- Best Paper Award at PATTERNS2009
Community and Public engagement:
- Six week multisensory art exhibition in Tate Britain art gallery in London: “Tate Sensorium” – allowing visitors to experience artwork through all their senses (touch, taste, smell, and sound). Live exhibition from 25th August until 4th The project won the Design Week Award for Exhibition Design 2016. The judges said: “This is a game-changer for experiencing art exhibitions in its use of science and technology. It’s a pathway for the next 100 years in exhibitions.” (see http://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/13-19-june-2016/design-week-awards-2016-winners-full/)
- Invited Talk at Nerd Nite Brighton on ‘Integrating Taste into Interactive Technologies: Science or Science-Fiction?’, public engagement promoting evidence-based entertainment (21.08.2014).
- 4-day workshop for teenagers above 16 years of age at the British Science Festival 2013, which took place beginning of September 2013 in Newcastle, UK.
- 2-day ‘creative design workshop’ on haptic feedback and experiences for the Ultrahaptics system, at the Pervasive Media Studio (http://www.pmstudio.co.uk/) in Bristol in July 2012.
- 1-day ‘making workshop’ on the basics of digital interaction, (http://switchonswitchoff.com/) at the MuseumsQuartier in Vienna, Austria in June 2012.
- Participation in the Salzburg Science Festival ‘UniHautnah’ 2006 and 2008, organized as a 3 to 4 day science meets public event at the biggest shopping mall in Salzburg, Austria.
- Annual organization of the ‘Salzburg Media Day’, as member of the Platform Digital Salzburg network (2006-2011).
- ACM SIGCHI – Special Interest Group for Computer Human Interaction (since 2005)
- Elected Bidding Chair for the ACM TVX Steering committee (July 2016)
- Elected Vice Chair for the ACM TVX Steering committee (July 2013-June 2016)
- Steering committee member for the ACM TVX (former EuroiTV) (since 2013)
- IFIP, Working Group TC14 on Interactive TV (since 2008)
- Steering committee member for the EuroiTV Conference series (2008-2013)
- PDS (Platform Digital Salzburg) Member, includes the co-organization of the annual “Salzburg Media Day” (2006-2011)